- There is no overtime, injury time, or stoppage time.
- Teams are comprised of four outfield players and one goalkeeper.
- The goalkeeper must wear a different color jersey than the outfield players.
- There is no offside in futsal.
- Substitutions are made on the fly at the team bench.
- Maximum roster size is 10.
- Home team wears white or light color; away team wears a dark color. The offending team will be asked to change.
- Schedules out prior to the first week of play
- No Heading
- No Sliding (with exception for Goalkeeper rule listed below)
- No scoring from kickoff.
- The opposing team on kickoffs must be behind the first white (volleyball) lines — new rule.
- No scoring from kick-ins.
- Infraction on kick-offs result in a re-try, on the others the ball turns over to the opposing team.
- Goalkeeper can not drop kick or punt the ball. Goalkeepers may NOT throw the ball overhand. Restarts by the keeper must be rolled underhand into play, or placed on the ground and passed into play. On a goal clearance (goal kick) the keeper MUST roll the ball into play and out of the penalty area. Any infraction results in a retry by the keeper/team in possession.
- You CANNOT score from your own half (this is to limit simply hitting the ball as hard as you can down the field at the goal).
- U9 and U10 groups ONLY — When the keeper is in possession of the ball for a goal clearance or collecting the ball in the penalty area and trying to restart. The opposing team must be behind the midcourt line. Once the ball is touched by a field player they may cross that line.
- Game length is (two) 20 minute halves with a 3-minute halftime.
- 6 teams per division, play each team once then a final day of 1st v 2nd, 3rd v 4th, 5th v 6th
- Actual scores are recorded, but for standings a maximum goal differential of six goals in a given game will be used.
- Any restart can be played in the air, with the exception of Kick-offs.
- Goal clearances (“goal kicks”) must be rolled out by the keeper, not kicked or thrown.
- When the keeper collects the ball or saves it, they may roll the ball back into play or drop the ball to the ground and pass it into play. NO THROWING, PUNTING, OR DROPKICKS.
- When passing you may pass in the air over midcourt, IF it is determined to be a controlled play or attempt to play a teammate the ball.
- All substitutions are on the fly, this includes goalkeeping substitutions. Referees will not stop play for goalkeeping substitutions. A player must leave the field before a new player may come on.
- Any substitute who enters the field of play before the player being replaced has completely left the field of play may be shown a yellow card.
- All substitutions must take place in the technical area (in front of the team bench) not at the halfway line.
Kickoffs: are indirect. The ball may be played in any direction. Tapped balls are not in play – the ball must move (removed forward). The opposing team must be behind the first red (volleyball) lines.
Kick-ins: are indirect. You may not score from a kick-in. Ball must be placed on the out of bounds line before the restart.
Goal Clearances: A goalkeeper may not score using his arm or hand from his own penalty area. If a goal occurs the defending goalkeeper must use his hands to roll, bounce or throw the ball from
anywhere inside the penalty area to outside the penalty area.
Corner Kicks: are direct. The ball must be placed directly on the corner spot.
Free Kicks: may be indirect or direct unless the foul is within the penalty arc; then it is a penalty kick. The ball must be stopped completely before the kick may be taken.
Penalty Kicks: are taken from the penalty spot (top of arc) and must be shot at goal by a clearly identified kicker. Defenders may not be nearer to the ball than 16 feet and must be behind an imaginary line running from touchline to touchline even with the penalty spot.
Distance: For all of the above, except goal clearances, opponents may not be closer to the ball than 16 feet.
Ceiling: If the ball hits the ceiling or other object, the team that did not touch the ball last restarts play with a kick-in from the nearest point on the touchline.
Indirect Free Kicks: (For fouls outside the penalty arc) — When a player plays in a dangerous manner, impedes an opponent (without playing the ball), slides, prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball with her hands or commits any offence for which play is stopped to caution or eject a player.
Direct Free Kicks: (For fouls outside the penalty arc) — When a player kicks or attempts to kick an opponent, slide tackles an opponent or slides with an opponent near (automatic yellow card/caution), jumps at an opponent, charges at an opponent, strikes or attempts to strike an opponent, pushes an opponent, holds an opponent, spits at an opponent or handles the ball deliberately.
Yellow Card / Caution: The offending player is shown a yellow card. The offending team plays down for two minutes unless scored upon before the two-minute penalty expires. If a player earns two yellow cards in a match, he is shown a red card.
Red Card / Ejection: The offending team plays down for two minutes unless scored upon before the two-minute penalty expires. The offending player serves a minimum one match suspension.
Accumulated Fouls / AFPK (rule will only apply to U13 and older teams): All penal fouls are recorded on the scoresheet and on the scoreboard. If red fouls blue a sixth time in one half, for that sixth penal foul and all subsequent penal fouls in that half, blue is awarded an accumulated fouls penalty kick. If the foul occurs farther from the attacking goal than the second penalty spot, the AFPK is taken from the second penalty spot. If the foul occurs nearer to the attacking goal than the second penalty spot (but outside the penalty area, of course), the attacking team may choose whether to take the AFPK from the second penalty spot or from the spot of the foul. All AFPK’s must be shot at goal by a clearly identified kicker. The defending team may not make a wall and may not be nearer to the ball than 16 feet and must be behind an imaginary line running from touchline to touchline even with the spot of the kick. The goalkeeper may be off her line, but may not be nearer than 16 feet from the ball. Accumulated fouls are reset to zero at the beginning of the second half.
Second Penalty Spot: 30 feet from the center of the goal.
Penalty Spot: 20 feet from the center of the goal.
Advantage: Advantage will be applied in futsal, with penal fouls still counting as accumulated fouls. If the referee shouts “play on” and gestures with both arms, the foul was a penal foul and will be counted accordingly. If the gesture is with one arm, the free kick would have been indirect and thus does not count toward the total.
- Must wear a different color shirt. They may wear long pants and/or other padding as deemed safe by the match referee.
- Goalkeepers may only slide to gain possession of the ball, when not controlled by the opposing team. They may not slide and into or towards and create contact with an opposing player.
As an example: Team A is dribbling towards the goal on a break away and has control of the ball, the keeper of team B may come out but may not slide into or towards the player in control. If Team A is not in direct control of the ball the keeper may slide out to recover the ball, while leading with their hands and NOT legs/feet.
- May receive a kick-in directly.
- May kick the ball directly over the halfway line.
- May score directly with his feet during the run of play.
- May not punt or drop kick the ball. (Ball must settle to the ground or be touched first, no “air” under the ball when kicked.)
- May not possess the ball for more than four seconds in their own half.
- Goalkeepers may NOT throw the ball overhand (new). Restarts by the keeper must be rolled underhand into play, or placed on the ground and passed into play. On a goal clearance (goal kick) the keeper MUST roll the ball into play and out of the penalty area. Any infraction results in a retry by the keeper/team in possession.
Lexington Ice Center
560 Eureka Springs Drive, Lexington, KY 40517